2020 has been a challenging year for many of us. Recent circumstances have meant that this year, more than ever, it is important that we stay connected with colleagues, friends and loved ones. The purpose of R U OK Day is to inspire and empower and show a willingness to support those who may be struggling around us.
However, asking isn’t always easy and it’s knowing how to start the discussion and how to follow up that meaningful conversation with valuable advice that will make a difference to someones life.
In won’t always be obvious when someone’s not doing so well. You can learn more about How to spot the signs of mental Illness in the workplace in our recent blog post where we asked Operations Manager Tony , who is also a MATES CONNECTOR to describe the signals that someone might need extra support.
R U OK? describe the following as possible signals………
- They may sound moody, lonely, unable to switch off or confused about the future
- They may be experiencing becoming withdrawn, unable to concentrate poor sleeping routine
- They may have suffered a recent traumatic event, major health issues or financial difficulties
And here are a few recommendations of what you could say after asking R U OK?
- I’ve noticed a few changes in the things you have been doing recently, is everything ok?
- You don’t seem yourself lately, I am here for you. Is there anything you would like to talk about?
- Just checking in with you to see how you are doing?
- I know there has been a lot going on for you lately, how are you coping with that?
Listen – be there for the individual, give your full attention and try understand what they are experiencing
- I’m always here to listen when you need to talk
- How long have you been feeling this way?
- I understand what you have been going through has not been easy but I am here for you if you need me
- Take your time, I am ready to listen
Encourage Action – Suggest ways to find help and let them know you are always there if they need you
- Have you got much support around you, friends or family that you confide in?
- Is there anything I can do now to support you through this tough time?
- For some people talking to a professional can be helpful, I can book you an appointment if you would like me to do that for you?
- What is something that you enjoy doing that will make you feel good about yourself and take your mind off things? I can come with you if you want some company?
Check in – Let them know you will keep in touch
- I just wanted to check in and see how you are feeling?
- Has anything improved since we last spoke?
At BriX Projects our first priority is the health and well-being of our employees, which is why we have such a strong process in place and are supportive of their needs. But we need you to talk to us and let us know when you’re having problems so we can help.