Looking for a rewarding career in which you’ll earn a great income and obtain skills which are always in demand? It might be time to consider becoming a tradie. Demand for tradies in Australia continues to rise, and with an ageing workforce and more people choosing to go to university instead of pursuing a trade we are now seeing a huge number of trades listed on the Australian National Skills Needs List.
University is not the be all and end all, and if you currently lack specific skills or qualifications (or are simply looking for a change in career) it would be well worth your while exploring the trades. It only takes a few years to qualify as a tradie, and you’ll be earning along the way. In this blog post, Brix Projects will highlight the many benefits of becoming a tradie and how you can begin the career change process.
The Benefits of Being a Tradie
Lets face it, a 9 to 5 desk job is not for everyone. If you’re the type that enjoys being outdoors, having control over your schedule, learning valuable skills and earning above average wages then being a tradie might be the right choice for you. Over the course of their career, tradies have the potential to earn around $1million more than university graduates. You’ll not struggle to find a job either, with around 84.1% of all apprentice/trainees finding employment upon completion of their training.
Here’s just a few benefits of being a tradie:
- Earn while you learn – get paid whilst you learn.
- Little to no debt – whilst university graduates might leave with a 5-figure debt, tradies complete training with little to no debt.
- Strong employment prospects – with skills that are always in demand, you’ll never have to wait long between jobs.
- Beat the Peak Hour Rush – Tradies have some flexibility when it comes to working hours, allowing you to avoid peak hour traffic and spend more time with family.
- Keep Fit – No need for a gym membership, as you’ll be working up a sweat and building muscle in the performance of your duties.
- Always New Experiences – Every job site is different, and you’ll never be bored as a tradie. One day you might be working on a large-scale government project, the next a multimillion-dollar residential development.
- Earn Great Rates –No matter which trade you qualify in, you can expect to be well remunerated. On average, tradies earn around $60 per hour.
- International Job Prospects – Once you’ve qualified, your skills can take you around the world using an international working visa. ‘
The Australian Government is committed to boosting the supply of skilled workers in Australia, and they have developed the Australian Apprenticeships Incentives Program which offers a number of benefits for apprentices and employers. To learn more, click here.
Top Roles in Demand at Brix Projects
No matter your trade, Brix Projects are always on the lookout for new talent. At the moment we are currently experiencing unprecedented demand for carpenters, electricians and bricklayers. We also require operators and civil construction workers, and there are specific construction courses available for these workers.
At Brix Projects we work with some of the nation’s largest contractors, and we are confident in our ability to find a role perfectly suited to you. Being a tradie is a healthy, rewarding career choice which can take you around the world. If you are interested in making professional connections, working on construction sites big and small and earning top rates then there has never been a better time to get involved.
For further advice on how to become a tradie, or to enquire about our current roles, please get in touch with our friendly recruitment team today on 1800 621 066. We hope to work with you soon.